Welcome! First, you will need a Mac or Windows computer with x86_64, amd64 (Intel/AMD), or Apple Silicon (arm64) architecture.
Older Macs running High Sierra (10.13) or earlier are not compatible.
Here are the exact specs:
• OS: macOS 10.14+ (Anything pas 10.14 Mojave)
• 4GB RAM
• at least 1.5 GHz CPU (intel x86_64) or M1 (arm64)
• 2 GB available hard disk space
• Available USB port or Bluetooth 4.0 or above
• Minimal supported screen resolution – 1024 x 600
• OS: Windows 7,8,10.
• 4GB RAM
• 1.5GHz CPU (preferably Intel x86_64, but can also be ARM on a Surface Pro)
• 2GB available Hard disk space
• 1+ USB ports or Bluetooth 4.0 or above.
• Screen: 1024×600 (at least).
Note that most computer screens of laptops are at least 1080p resolution, which generally is 1920×1080. The screen requirement is almost always met. Also note that there are versions of the software for Chromebook, android, windows touch devices, and iPhone/iPad, and some of those versions work exactly the same way as the mac and pc ones. However, you need to be careful, since there are probably several version of EV3 software available. Look for the one with this icon:
Download page is here: https://education.lego.com/en-us/downloads/mindstorms-ev3/software
The installation is rather simple compared to labView. For mac, simply drag the application icon above into the applications folder as shown on the disk image downloaded.
For windows, open the installer and follow the instructions there.
If you enjoyed this article, please like and subscribe to our mailchimp newsletter to learn when new lessons and articles are published!
© The Robo Mentors (Marc and Anne-Sarah)